Thursday, January 22, 2009

Scavenger Hunt At Bluff Creek

You know you have good friends when they are willing to help you look for your keys after a 5 mile run, at dusk, in the cold.
Thank you to Melissa, Keith, Peggy and Beth! The 5 mile run went so quickly. We spent most of it discussing our options for the Sooner State Games Trail Run as it seems Bluff Creek won't be available to us. We made our decision to hold it at Draper, just before reaching the parking lot. As we approached our cars, I realized I wasn't holding my keys! I never run holding my keys! I used to stick them in the pocket of my water belt, but once that started irritating my back, I stopped using it. Keys were stashed in my secret hiding place. I realized I was carrying them as we entered the trail. OK, I'll hold them.

Yikes, after 5 miles, of twisting turning trails, this could be a problem. My good friends all headed out with me - in separate directions. I remembered that I wasn't holding them when I "high-fived" Peggy when she agreed with me to choose Draper over Arcadia. That was at the Extension Loop. Then I remembered putting down my bottle to tie my shoe when I cyclist passed. That was the big help. Peggy remembered that was pretty early in the run. And I knew that it was on the left side of the trail, near a tree at a short incline. We did it! we found them!

Thanks friends!

1 comment:

Charlie said...

Yikes! I don't think I've ever felt more torn down after a great run than the day I thought I lost my key. I usually put in in the pocket of my water bottle, and take the lone key off of the ring. I looked down after arriving back at the car and realized I never zipped the pocket closed. Luckily, I found the key beside my car tire. I guess it had fallen out before I started. Whew! close one. I now check and triple check where my keys are before a run.