Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Icicle Run




When it's cold, you gotta dress for the cold...

I had my appointment with Dr. Odor today. Basically he said that it was too late to do anything for my L5-S1 disk. It's pretty much gone. L4-L5 disk is dehydrated and I would an ideal candidate for a a disk replacement. When? He said to wait until I just can't stand the pain anymore. For the last month or so, the pain is decreased significantly. Dr Odor attributes that to the destruction to L5-S1 and it's innervation. OK. Right now, ibuprofen works. When that stops working I'll go see him again.

Since his office isn't that far from Bluff Creek, I thought I'd go for a little run after the appointment. It's been icy out for a few days with a layer of sleet on top. I knew if I got out there while it was still below 32, the trails should be in great shape. So, I packed my sports bra, nylon tights, fleece tights, dry fit shirt, thick socks, gloves, gaiters, Get-A-Grips, hat, glasses. By chance did you notice I didn't list running jacket? I wish I noticed. Once I got changed and saw no jacket, I thought about going home, but it was so pretty out with all the ice and sunshine.

I put on my heavy wool coat and ran about 10 minutes. Too hot. Headed back to the parking lot to meet Melissa and changed into the sweater I wore for my doctor appointment. Quite fashionable, and worked! Not too hot, not too cold. The air temp was pretty cold and sucked the breath out of me as we ran. We were both good with 3.5 miles. And, no slips or falls!




No comments: