Saturday, August 7, 2010

Oh, My Aching Feet!

I moved my body forward for 3 hours today.  Oh yeah, it was a tough one.  I met up with Peggy, Beth, Melissa, Shay and Julie for a training run at Draper.  We stuck together pretty well for the first 6 miles and I felt great!  I wore my Vibram Classics for that first loop.  Once we got back to the cars, I switched to my Asics - didn't want to overdo it.  Shay and Julie left us there for home and some yoga, but we picked up Janice.  As we headed off to the yellow loop, I slowed the pace some.  We had run the first part at 5:1, but I needed to switch to 4:1 if I was going to last another hour and 45.  So, the gang dropped me - by my choice and it was a good thing.  My feet started to hurt!  After a while, I noticed I was practically limping - definitely altered my gait.  It hurt just to put my left foot down.  I ended up taking off my shoes and short cutting out of the trail.  Hobbled back to the car and put back on the Vibrams.

I did the rest of the run on various parts of the green loop and my feet felt fine.  Have I really become so used to the Vibrams that I can't run in regular shoes?  Never heard of anyone having that issue before.  But, the balls of my feet were pretty sore.  I may need to get the Vibram Bikila - with a thicker pad at the ball of the foot.  I finished the run at a 1;1 pace, but at least I finished!  I only need to tack on 21 hours before October!

Happy Trails!

No comments: