Monday, August 9, 2010

My Best Training Partner

No offense to any of my friends, but I LOVE running with the Karma Dog!  Most of the gang I run with knows all of the trails very well so there usually not a problem if someone wants to speed ahead, or drop back.  We all know our way home.  But the Karma Dog will never leave me!

Karma and I met Julie at Bluff Creek for an evening run.  We figured a start time of 7:45 would be cool enough.  WRONG!  When I left the house it was still 95 degrees out!  With Karma, and no water available on the trail, we decided to do the 2 mile Dirty Double Dozen loop.  Julie is thinking about doing the 6 hour run for that event, so she was all about learning the course.  We set Karma's water bowl at the trail entrance.  I forgot my watch, and Julie didn't have hers set so we ran until we wanted to walk, then walked until we were ready to run.  Worked out fine since it was so hot.

Conversation flowed easily with this new friend of mine, and Karma was the perfect companion too.   She has finally learned NOT to trip my fellow runners.  The first loop was great - hot but great.  Karma gulped and gulped her water.  Previously I'd tried to get her to drink from my water bottle, but she wants nothing do do with it. 

With about 1/2 mile to go it was starting to get dark.  Originally we had planned for 6 miles, but the heat just wasn't going to allow it.  Not only were we tired, but now Karma was lagging behind.  I felt so bad for her.  She wanted to stop, but was no way going to let us out of her site.  When we stopped for a walk, a dribbled some water on her snooter.  This time, rather than running away, she started gobbling!  Yea!  She finally figured out that this bottle was a good thing!  Now, she's gotta start carrying her own...

Happy Trails!

1 comment:

Julie said...

That was a fun run, despite the heat! Looking forward to running with you again soon!