Friday, September 26, 2008

Long Weekend Run

Today was to be the test to see if I might be able to run the 50K at Palo Duro. Yep, I think I can!

I met Shay and Laura at Bluff Creek at 8:00. I got there about 1/2 hour early to give my back and leg a little time to warm up. We did a loop together, then Shay left to go to a football game. I really enjoyed the second loop with Laura. We're both reading the same book right now, "Three Cups of Tea." We discussed some of what the author was learning about his travels and struggles in Pakistan. We applied it to the directions we hope to take our lives. Laura and her family are considering taking a 6 month sabbatical from their current lives, to travel to a Third World country - to learn and help wherever they can. I am learning about what my priorities are. With this back injury, running 50 miles doesn't seem so important. Truly, developing a strong, healthy marriage and creating a beautiful life with Scott, and learning where we can serve together is what I want.

Laura left after the second loop. She's fighting with some congestion, so I wished her well, and headed back into the trails. I enjoyed my time alone. I thought about Palo Duro and have let go of my time goals there. I just want to complete it. My left 2-3 toes started to hurt about mile 16. I did a digital block on a toe the first year I ran Palo Duro, as I had broken my 2nd toe the week before the event. It's hard to give yourself multiple shots in the toe. Perhaps this year Shay can help me with that. It started to get pretty hot, and I was hungry and tired, so I called it quits after 20 miles. The plan was for 22, but I'm happy with 20. Long runs for the next 2 weekends, and Palo Duro - Here I Come!

Peace

No comments: