Thursday, July 23, 2009

I'm Blaming You

The following is an email I sent Joel McCarty earlier today. His response follows.

Hey Joel-

So I went to the 24 Hour race meeting last night. Chisholm has me coordinating the aid station. He has such an awesome event planned. Well, it seems so awesome that I think I want to run
it. I 've wanted to do this since I heard about it in March but was pretty sure Scott would be against the idea.

I've been planning on 50 mile at Palo Duro which is the weekend before the 24. Now, my husband has no idea what is going on in my head. He doesn't understand this ultra-running thing. He knows that I plan to go to Palo Duro, but he assumes I'm doing the 20K or 50K. I DNF'd the 50K last year due to back pain, there fore it would never occur to him that I might want to go the 50. (I have done PD 50K 3 previous times). I digress. Anyway, my point is that I want to do the 24. It's in my backyard, my home course. I know those trails inside and out. I was thinking about doing the 12 hour, and hopefully getting in my first 50 there. Then I started thinking, heck, just keep moving your body forward for 24 hours. I can stop/quit whenever I need to, but the option to keep going is there. Again, I ramble.

What I'm wondering... is it too late to start training for 100 miles? Should I attempt this without ever doing a 50? I would love your input!

Katharine

Short story its not too late - I'm just starting my long runs.We are each different but here is what works for me....Training throughout the week doesn't matter. Do all that you can but don't obsess over it. If you can get some tempo running in to build up your aerobic power it will help you be more efficient but its not a core requirement.No matter what do a LONG run on Saturday Ice baths immediately afterward help me - you get used to them (bundle up from the waist up, drink coffee and read for distraction)take lots of napRest Sunday and recharge before your week starts
watch what you eat as you go longer and longer eat more fruits and vegetables and less processed food and consider vitaminsAbout the long rungo slow, walk, stay out a long time and practice eating and drinking more variety than usual, pack a lunch and eat it while you are walkingI believe strongly in run walk from the very beginning. For me 5/1 doesn;t work. I need to run a little longer and recover a little more so for me 10/2 is way more efficient.As far as long runs I like to go out for 6 hours but take them slow with at least one long break to pick up supplies and eat my lunch while walking. I'm running for distance on the road (30 miles) but if I were on the trails I would just go for time. Quite honestly I think the run easy approach you have adopted because of your sciatica adapts you to a race like this much better than a fast marathoner etc... Trust me if you go out too fast you will crash. It's a lot better to start off with 11-12 minute miles and then slow down than to start any fasterAlso food for thought - try a night run and see how your body handles it but don't stress if it doesn't go well. Last year I ran a 50k that started at midnight and was falling asleep running. I was scared of the night at the Mother Road for months. It wasn't a problem, with your endocrine system going full blast staying awake wasn't an issue for me.And finally don;t fear a DNF. I almost didn;t run the mother road last year because I got really sick and took 6 weeks off and didn;t start running again until 3 weeks before the mother road. I almost let the fear of a dnf because of lack of training stop me. You can do it but you have to want it bad.Best of luckJoel

No comments: