Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Learning New Things

So it's been a few months since my last post. Life got in the way. My wedding to Scott was the most wonderful thing! Life is good! I ran when I could, but wedding plans and sciatica took a priority.

The back and leg pain are intermittent. It never hurts when I run, but sometimes I hurt for a few days following.

My head gets in the way, too. I need to figure out why I want to go the distance. Is it for me, to challenge and improve myself. Or, am I competing with something outside of me? If it's internal, that's great. If I'm completing because of something on the outside, I need to let it go. Scott is worried that I may cause some permanent damage to my spine.

Right now I'm struggling with the Palo Duro 50K. I've done this event 3 times before and would love to do it again. The race director, Red Spicer, died a few weeks ago and I would love to honor him by running again. Doing the 20K seems like it would be going backwards in my accomplishments. But, you've got to slow down someday, right? Well, maybe not.

I'm looking at The DanMan http://www.danmanrun.com/ for my 50 miler. A very small, low key event in early February. We'll see.

My run today at Bluff Creek taught me some new things. I rarely run with music, but today I listened to an interesting variety of Christian alternative and Classic Rock. I was tired through the whole run and my legs felt heavy. I had to take a few extra walk break. I don't know if it was from fatigue or boredom. Having the music on kept me from my 'thinking time.' Without thinking, I got bored. But, on the other hand I beat my best time ever on that 5 mile loop. The first time I've ever gone under 1 hour. 59:50.

May peace and joy surround you!

No comments: