Saturday, April 23, 2011

A Humbling Experience

So, my heart isn't working the way it is suppose to.  After quite a few syncopal and near-syncopal episodes, I saw the doctor.  The tests weren't real bad, but they were as good as they should be.  I'll be going in for more testing soon.  Basically, my heart is beating from the bottom chambers rather than the top about once per minute.  And, at times, it slows down to 40 beats per minute instead of my regular 60-68.

  As if fainting isn't enough, it sometimes gets hard to breathe when I run.  Now, next time your run, and you're having a hard time breathing, try to determine if that how it always feels when you run, or if you out of breath because your heart isn't pumping adequately.  I could tell something wasn't right after about 4 minutes while running with the gang at Draper.  I slowed way down.  I even switched to run for 2 minutes, then walk for one.  That way was the only way I could run, and let my heart and breathing remain somewhat comfortable.  It's a humbling experience to be a runner and resort to this type of activity. 

I got in my goal of 12 miles, but it took me 3 hours.    Rather than struggling to get back my pace, I'm going to be happy that my heart and body still allow me to do what I love.

1 comment:

Julie said...

I'm praying for you Kat. I hate it that you are going through this stuff but you have such a great attitude about it. Let me know what you find out with tests.