Saturday, August 14, 2010

Friday Night Run With Friends...

About 2 hours in to the adventure! Lookin' Good!
Some of my friends can't understand how I can put in so many miles at Bluff Creek, but it's home to me. I started at 5:30pm, while it was still over 100 degrees out. I set up my little aid station with a note to Tanya and Holly who I knew would be out there soon. Once I ducked into the trees and into the shade the temp dropped quite a bit, mind you it was still way hot. I wore my Classic Vibrams because I was afraid the full foot of the Bikila's might be too hot. Well, that lasted 1 hour. The bottoms of my feet hurt. Switched to the Bikila's. Soon after that I met up with T and H who planned to walk/hike for 4 hours. Even if I wasn't going to hang with them, it sure is nice knowing someone else is out there.
I've never tried "5 Hour Energy" before - until tonight. Since I had to sleep last year during the 24, thought this might be a good idea. I took a huge swig of the Lemon-Line flavor and GAGGED! Yikes! It reminded me of a liquid cough medicine I had to take when I was hospitalized with pneumonia back in High School! Yes, bad tastes like that stick with you. Hard to tell if it worked, but I never laid down during the run to take a nap.

Before they saw the trails...
Switched from the Bikila's to my Asics as my toes started cramping. Now that is something new and different.

I walked most of the last 1 1/2 hours, but definitely kept a strong pace going. I think I'll be good by the time the "Double Dirty Dozen" rolls around. Moved my body forward for 4:45 and moved it about 18-20 miles.. And that's good enough for me!

 
Happy Trails.

No comments: